May 23, 2012

BIGGER THAN A BREAD BOX by Laurel Snyder

101780079/27/11
Bigger than a Bread Box by Laurel Snyder
Random House Children’s
Hardcover/223pp.
A magical breadbox that delivers whatever you wish for—as long as it fits inside? It's too good to be true! Twelve-year-old Rebecca is struggling with her parents' separation, as well as a sudden move to her Gran's house in another state. For a while, the magic bread box, discovered in the attic, makes life away from home a little easier. Then suddenly it starts to make things much, much more difficult, and Rebecca is forced to decide not just where, but who she really wants to be. Laurel Snyder's most thought-provoking book yet.
I haven’t been reading as much children’s lit as I should be (I’m sorry; blame Irving and Egan) but last week, when I was in the mood for something magic and whimsical and pounding with voice, I picked up Laurel Snyder’s Bigger than a Bread Box. I got something I totally wasn’t expecting when I began reading, but man, was it good.

The voice is wonderful. It rides the fine line between middle grade and young adult, at least to me, but Ms. Snyder keeps it grounded in middle grade with Rebecca’s sense of wonder and her reactions to issues with her family. Rebecca was a little moody, like you’d expect of a girl her age, but the reader knows that this is because of something a little deeper than hormones; things are changing in Rebecca’s life and she doesn’t like it.  When she finds a bread box that gives her any(tangible)thing that she asks for, she thinks all her problems are solved—but she’s wrong. No matter how many times she asks the box to get her parents back together, she doesn’t get any closer to Baltimore, the pelicans, her old school and old friends.

I really like this book. I’m a little ashamed at not having read anything of Laurel Snyder’s sooner.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like a book I need to find-my daughter and I have been compiling a read-together list for the summer. I think I'll add this one.
Happy Reading!

Musings in Red said...

This story looks adorable! Will have to look it up! :)

Thanks for the post!!

p.s. I LOVE KID NOVELS! They transport me back to my childhood ...sigh :)